Job Opportunity in ASHDEN INDIA RENEWABLE ENERGY COLLECTIVE (AIREC): Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Required.
Opportunity in AIREC
Role Description for Ashden India Renewable Energy Collective (AIREC) CEO
Role: Chief Executive Officer (full-time and based in Delhi)
The Ashden India Collective is a group of over 20 successful organisations working in the area of clean energy, using technologies including solar PV, bio-gas and efficient cook-stoves to increase energy access. They are all Ashden Award winners and have come together to speak with one voice to policymakers and financial institutions. Their aim is to help scale up the market for renewable energy in India. AIREC has a vast amount of knowledge and experience in delivering decentralised renewable energy which can help guide the changes in energy policy that are needed to improve the availability of energy for millions in India. AIREC draws on its combined experience to develop policy recommendations for the government and work with financial institutions to help scale up the use of decentralised renewable energy.
The role of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of AIREC is meant for someone who is very self-motivated to lead the organisation forward. The person should have a solid background in policy-making and a good understanding of the renewable energy sector. The person will preferably be familiar with some of the members of AIREC and will already have relevant contacts in the field. The CEO will report to the Chairman and board of AIREC as well as Ashden UK.
AIREC still has to be built up to a self-sufficient and well established organisation that is seen as a leader in policy-making for renewable energy. Its members are all leading organisations in renewable energy and very well regarded by government organisations. The CEO must be able to make use of this potential and help take AIREC to the next stage by getting it more involved in policy-making, helping it become a first point of call for decision makers in relevant government organisations and making it financially strong.
As CEO of AIREC you will be one of the main spokespersons and ambassadors for the organisation, responsible for managing the work stream and finances, liaising with government organisations and funding agencies, overseeing research papers and commissions, and coordinating with members.
Look for projects and funding for AIREC
• Meet with potential funders or investors, partners and organisations that could commission AIREC to do work. These would include government organisations (Ministry of New and Renewable Energy), NGOs (Shakti Foundation, Climate Parliament), donor agencies (DFID, GIZ, USAID, UNDP), etc.
• Write proposals for potential projects.
• Speak to AIREC members to get relevant contacts and work with members to contact key people.
Coordinate the research papers, projects and events AIREC takes up
• Once a project has been secured, coordinate with AIREC members and consultants to develop and see the project through.
• Make sure AIREC members are participating in relevant events and contributing to research papers, and coordinate their participation.
Networking to influence change in the renewable energy sector on behalf of AIREC
• Lead jointly with Hemant Lamba through personal meetings and phone calls.
• Develop a working relationship with relevant decision makers at government organisations (particularly MNRE), NGOs and donor agencies in order to call on them when needed.
• Meet with policymakers regularly, and coordinate meetings between AIREC members and government organisations (MNRE, Ministry of Power, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Health etc.).
Develop partnerships for AIREC
• Promote AIREC to a wide audience through meetings and events.
• Formalise strategic partnerships with key organisations together with Hemant Lamba. These will include government organisations mentioned above, DFID, Confederation of Indian Industry and Khemka Foundation’s working group on renewable energy.
Work with the Chairman and board of AIREC and Ashden UK
• Have a phone meeting every 2-4 weeks with Dr.S.P.Gon Chaudhuri and Smt.Chhavi Sharma to update on the work. When relevant to do so, report to Dr.S.P.Gon Chaudhuri and Smt.Chhavi Sharma on important issues between meetings.
• Keep in close contact and have a phone call once a month (or whenever needed) with the board. This will be done in coordination with Hemant Lamba.
Coordinate the communication between AIREC members
• Send monthly or bimonthly emails to AIREC members on relevant activities.
• Speak to all members during the year to learn about their work.
Oversee the management of AIREC
• Coordinate admin, legal and financial matters.
with Company Secretary (Smt.Indrani Chaudhuri), Auditor, Accounts Officer (Eltaf Hussain) and Accountant of NBIRT (Mr.Amitesh Datta Gupta) to ensure efficient management of AIREC.
• Excellent manager and coordinator.
• Good initiative and drive to take AIREC forward.
• Good network skills and able to make contacts and develop partnerships useful to AIREC.
• Good researcher.
• Good writer, able to write clearly and succinctly, including proposals and reports to funders or investors and partners.
• Good public speaker.
• Highly organised.
• Good spoken and written English.
• Good understanding of the renewable energy sector in India.
• Good understanding of the fund raising and policy environment in India.
• General understanding of Section 25 not-for-profit companies in India, including statutory rules and regulations.
• At least 10 years work experience and at least 5 years work experience in a relevant sector.
• Experience of planning and running events such as seminars and conferences.
• Experience of working with and influencing policy-makers.
• Experience of securing funding and maintaining relationships with funders or investors/partners.
• Master degree in Engineering/Economics/Social Science/Rural Development/Business Administration.
This position is on Contract basis for One (1) Year, extendable based on performance.